On Thursday, August 29, 2013, the morning rain did not dampen our spirits. The afternoon sun appeared and remained to brighten our day! 130 lady golfers experienced the beautiful golf course at Bel Acres Golf & Country Club! Many thanks to Manitoba Blue Cross and Wow Hospitality Concepts, the Bionic Woman Sponsors for the 5th Annual Fore Women’s Health Ladies Golf Tournament. Golfers checked in to receive their pink “golf shoe” bag tags and enjoyed Retail Therapy hosted by:
- Arbonne (Kate Hanson)
- Avon/Norwex (Peg Chegus)
- BeautiControl (Lori Whitelam)
- 5th Avenue (Veronica Habib)
- Investment Pieces (Michelle, Karen, and Dianne Szelag)
- Mary Kay (Kathryn Barmanovich)
- Pampered Chef (Nancy Snidal)
- Silpada (Nancy Brown and Kelly Werbowski)
- Sunset Gourmet (Cindy Grainger and Audrey Stewart)
- Total She (Jennifer Lippens)
Following lunch and a sample of DAVIDs Tea, a shotgun start occurred at 12:30 P.M. in light rain. By the second hole, the rain stopped and by the fourth hole, the sun was shining! The teams collected 18 letters highlighted at the tee-box sign to unscramble into a phrase. One of the many highlights of the tournament was Hole 10 where the golfers were pleasantly surprised to find nestled at the tee-box – Terrace in the Park’s Chef Simon and General Manager Stas serving Chilled Crab “Fingers” with Remoulade, Tuna Tetaki and a shrimp salad croissant with red or white wine sangria. Terrace in the Park was a major hit with the ladies! Wow Hospitality Concepts also held a random draw for a lucky golfer who won a table for 8 at Chef Simon’s table at Terrace in the Park.
We thank the incredible hole sponsors:
- BMO (Leanne Doverspike and Maureen spoiled us with a tasty beverage)
- Tom Powell Design Studio (and Arctic Glacier for their water bottles and ice!)
- River City Detailers (closest-to-the-pin contest)
- Lobby on York (Chef Jesse Friesen shared a scrumptious smoked chicken salad)
- Sterling Beverages/Relax Wines and (Sterling served samples of his popular wines)
- Harris Printing (Coors/Molson staff offered the golfers a cool one)
- Lifetouch (team photos)
- MIG Insurance (a fun yet challenging chipping contest)
- Total She (Jennifer Lippens participated in Retail Therapy and the tournament!)
- Mona Lisa Ristorante (Marilena and one of their chefs provided an amazing Italian salad!)
The putting contest sponsor was Kevin Becker of National Bank Financial and the 2 hole-in-one contest sponsors were Birchwood Honda on Regent Avenue and Carlson WagonLit Travel. Other golf contests were sponsored by Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company, Manitoba Nurses Union, and McDonald’s. We thank our volunteers for providing the sponsors and golfers with impeccable service and ensuring that the day was totally fun!
After the tournament, the ladies were pampered by Nan Campbell and the gals from Aveda Institute. The banquet was MC’d by Chrissy Troy from Virgin Radio 103.1 FM. We love Chrissy so much – she makes this banquet ROCK! Natalie Mota, a recent recipient of the graduate research award, shared her passion for mental health promotion. While the golfers enjoyed a delicious dinner provided by the wonderful staff at Bel Acres Golf & Country Club, they sipped on wine donated by THE WINEHOUSE. Winners of the golf contests were announced and prizes were awarded to excited recipients. Team prizes were randomly awarded to teams that correctly unscrambled the 18 letters. The rainbow auction raised $2840 for the Women’s Health Research Foundation of Canada with items such as a lovely chair donated by Palliser Warehouse and Lobby on York’s dinner for 8 in your home valued at $800.
We thank our golfers and sponsors and prize donors for making this event so much fun! All funds raised go to the Women’s Health Research Foundation of Canada, a national charitable organization that’s based in Winnipeg. This charity provides an annual research award to a graduate student at the University of Manitoba who is conducting research about women’s health. Funds from this event will be used to establish a new award for a part-time graduate student.